Hi guys, myself Anand P .I am doing a professional degree course in Electronics and Communication. I have been into making electronics projects for some time now and I wanted to share some of my knowledge about simpler projects that I have tried and worked out. I have been collecting information about different electronics projects that can be well tried out if you have some basic knowledge in this field. Don't worry if you haven't had any previous experience in making circuits. I can always help you out. Many of my friends have asked me why don't I start a new blog exclusively to share my knowledge in this field. But as always I don't think I can manage another blog exclusively for that. I will be making posts about the projects that I have tried before and worked out well enough and I will continue making posts about some of the newer projects as and when I work it out. I would like you all to reply after trying out the circuit. I do welcome suggestions and doubts too.

Click to view the Circuit Diagram

The operation of the circuit is based on superheterodyning principle which is commonly used in superheterodyne receivers. The circuit utilizes two RF oscillators. The frequencies of both oscillators are fixed at 5.5 MHz. The first RF oscillator comprises transistor T1 (BF 494) and a 5.5MHz ceramic filter commonly used in TV sound-IF section. The second oscillator is a Colpitt’s oscillator realised with the help of transistor T3 (BF494) and inductor L1 (whose construction details follow) shunted by trimmer capacitor VC1. These two oscillators’ frequencies (say Fx and Fy) are mixed in the mixer transistor T2 (another BF 494) and the difference or the beat frequency (Fx - Fy) output from collector of transistor T2 is connected to detector stage comprising diodes D1 and D2 (both OA 79). The output is a pulsating DC which is passed through a low-pass filter realised with the help of a 10k resistor R12 and two 15nF capacitors C6 and C10. It is then passed to AF amplifier IC1 (2822M) via volume control VR1 and the output is fed to an 8-ohm/1W speaker. The inductor L1 can be constructed using 15 turns of 25SWG wire on a 10cm (4-inch) diameter air-core former and then cementing it with insulating varnish. For proper operation of the circuit it is critical that frequencies of both the oscillators are the same so as to obtain zero beat in the absence of any metal in the near vicinity of the circuit. The alignment of oscillator 2 (to match oscillator 1 frequency) can be done with the help of trimmer capacitor VC1. When the two frequencies are equal, the beat frequency is zero, i.e. beat frquency = Fx - Fy = 0, and thus there is no sound from the loudspeaker. When search coil L1 passes over metal, the metal changes its inductance, thereby changing the second oscillator’s frequency. So now Fx - Fy is not zero and the loudspeaker sounds. Thus one is able to detect presence of metal.

From my results, the metal detector circuit that I have shown above have the longest range (I am talking about non-commercial ones). It can detect up to 10 to 15 centimeters. It can detect iron nails or coins hid under soil or sand very efficiently. The sound produced is high when the metal is near to the surface. Its sensitivity decreases as the metal is deeper. Try it out with different type of soils, you will see that its sensitivity is higher if soil is more sandy and sensitivity is lower if soil has more iron content. With this metal detector, you can very easily find out lost coins in the beach. Try it out yourself and reply with your results. Don't hesitate to clear your doubts before setting up the circuit.


Subscribe to my FEED using any FEED Reader
or Get updates directly sent to your inbox by submitting your email address below

Share This Post with your Friends

Buzz This!!! Tweet this!!! Digg This!!! StumbleUpon This!!! Del.icio.us Technorati Reddit Google Sphinn It!!!

10 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. did u get the o/p for metal detector circuit

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. Yes, but range was a little less than what I designed for. I designed it for a range of 25cm but got only around 10 to 15cm

     
  5. Anonymous Says:
  6. Hi Anand! Thanks for your feedback on this exciting circuit. I like metal detectors especially the simplier ones. Again, thanks! By the way, in the schematic diagram shown above, if you look at T3's emmiter pin (BF494), there's an arrow-like drawing there that is also connected to C4 (10nF). What's that arrow-like thing or like a diode or something, what is it? Also, if there's any corrections from the circuit, kindly e-mail it to me at hetfield9999@yahoo.com. Your prompt response is highly appreciated. Thanks and take care. -Harold

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. T3's emitter pin is connected to a diode and then to C4 (10nF) and then to the emitter of T2

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. Thanks for the swift reply, Anand! I appreciate it. Kindly check also my e-mail to you, I have a new one. Thanks! - Harold.

     
  11. Anonymous Says:
  12. this circuit falled to work, in the absence of a metal, the speaker still sounds. what can be the problem,send me the feedback.

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. If the speaker still sounds without any presence of metal, it means that the frequencies are not balanced. Try adjusting the trimmer or coil inductance so that the frequency of oscillation due to trimmer and coil is same(balanced) as that of the oscillator circuit

     
  15. Anonymous Says:
  16. HI ANAND IM ALSO CONSTRUCT THE SAME CKT BUT IM NOT GET THE OUTPUT PLS GVE ME SOME IDEA

     
  17. Unknown Says:
  18. Are you getting the sound when there is no metal present or are you getting no sound even in presence of metal? Please explain what the problem is.

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. Good day circuit diagram is not showing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed
Follow me on Twitter
Like Online assistant on Facebook
Follow me on Google Buzz
Get updates by email